Today’s Thanksgiving side dish comes straight from my family table. Aunt Diane makes this Green Bean Salad every year and if she didn’t, there would be a lot of disappointed eaters!
Here are some thoughts on Sharing by Todd and Diane at WhiteonRiceCouple.com (which I couldn’t agree with more!!)
To be able to make things with our own hands is satisfying, but to be able to share it with others is the ultimate joy and privilege. We’re grateful to have others at our table alongside us, with whom to break bread, to tell stories and to cultivate friendship through eating and sharing. Food is powerful that way. The food we make and eat is about community, nurturing, and letting others know that we care and that they are loved. Feeding one another is undeniably a loving way to connect.
Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Aunt Diane's Green Beans with Feta and Pecans
- 1 1/2 lbs green beans, ends removed and cut in half
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Break the end of the green beans and cut them all in half. Cook them in boiling water for 4 minutes, drain and immerse them in ice cold water to stop the cooking and keep them slightly crisp. Drain the water and pat the beans dry with a paper towel.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar dill, garlic, salt and pepper and toss with the beans in a large bowl. Add in three fourths of the feta, red onion, and pecans and toss. Then top with remaining onion, feta and pecans.
And I know you’re waiting to hear about the Pie of the Day so here it is: Pecan Pie Recipe from Completely Delicious
Thanksgiving Menu for the Day:
Appetizer: Grilled Pear and Brie Honey Crostini by Two Peas and Their Pod
Main Meat: Spice Roasted Cornish Hens by Kitchen Confidante
Side Dish: Rosemary Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes by Cafe Johnsonia
Rolls: White Rolls by Completely Delcious
Cocktail: Apple Cider Hot Toddy by Cookie and Kate
Leftovers: Baked Tortellini with Turkey and Butternut Squash by Cookin’ Canuk