Being from West Texas (the heart of Friday Night Lights), the love of football is in our blood. Chips and queso along with cheap beer also runs through our veins from our earlier years. But this year for the Super Bowl we’re trying something a little different – Super Bowls. Basically, our table will have a big spread of ‘super food’ ingredients (fruits and vegetables high in nutrients) from quinoa to kale and avocado so friends can pile high their bowls full of goodness, snacking a refilling throughout the game.
When making a super bowl the ingredients are really up to you (lists of super-foods are endless and generally defined as fruits and vegetables high in specific nutrients). Here are a few of what I chose for this occasion:
Bulgar (you can use quinoa or brown rice here too or any grain of your choosing)
Roasted Veggies (brussels, sweet potatoes and beets)
Roasted Spiced Chickpeas
Micro Greens and Sprouts
Avocado Lime Dressing or a Dressing of your choosing
Here are a few more ideas for toppings that I think would work well:
a fried egg
roasted cauliflower or broccoli
seeds like sunflower or sesame seeds
shredded veggies like carrots or cucumber
cilantro or parsley
And I’ll be honest here, there may be some queso at the end of the table too but at least our bowls will be filled with all of this goodness first. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend whether or not you enjoy football!
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 large beets, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts, sliced in half
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed and roasted
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bundle of kale
- 1 cup bulgar wheat
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 2 handfuls micro greens or sprouts
- 1 recipe honey lime avocado dressing
- Turn oven to 425 degrees. Peel then chop sweet potatoes and beets into similar sized squares, then cut Brussels in half. Toss the vegetables in olive oil (use coconut oil if you're really going for the super foods here), salt, and cumin (being generous with the salt). Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and drizzle with olive oil then lay out the vegetables in one layer. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until tender and brown on the edges.
- Meanwhile, cook the bulgar wheat. Rinse the grain a few times pouring off the cloudy water. Then combine the 1 cup bulgar with 2 cups of cold water in a pot on the stove. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15-20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Next Roast the Chickpeas. These can roast while the veggies are finishing up roasting (10-15 minutes with oil and salt).
- Chop or tear the kale into bite sized pieces and throw into a bowl. Once the vegetables and chickpeas are done, place them also in individual bowls. Same with micro greens, bulgar, and almonds. What you're going for is a whole lot of bowls with a whole lot of ingredients.
- Whisk up the avocado dressing and pour into a jar.
- Spread out all the ingredients along your table and stack up a few bowls. Let your guests fill their bowls to their liking.