These days we commonly have friends over with dietary restrictions. This Strawberry Rhubarb Skillet Pie can easily be altered for vegan, gluten free, or dairy-free diets with a couple of easy changes. Plus it’s healthy enough to enjoy for breakfast or dessert, which is a big win for me!!
For this recipe, I picked up all of my ingredients from Harmons. They have a great variety of healthy baking ingredients and beautifully ripe fruit for this season. Their rhubarb is the most beautiful magenta tone and their strawberries, plump and sweet.
In the baking isle at Harmons you can find gluten free oats and gluten free flour as well as chia seeds and a whole variety of sugars. I used pure sugar cane, which is pure dried sugar cane juice, that maintains it’s vitamin, mineral, and molasses content (verses brown sugar that is more refined). You could also use date sugar, sucanat, sugar, or brown sugar for this recipe. It’s fun to experiment with different types of sweeteners and flours to find your favorites.
I picked up sprouted wheat flour at Harmons to try as well. Sprouted wheat flour is easily digestible, has increased vitamin content and is a great way to access the grains’ nutritional benefits.
The chia seeds in this recipe help bind the pie crust and topping as well as provide omega 3 fatty acids. They are rich in fiber, protein, calcium and magnesium, having nutrient values similar to flax seeds. You can find them at the bulk area in many grocery stores or packaged in the baking isle. Similar to flax seed, you can use chia, combined with water, which makes a gelatinous mixture, to replace eggs if you’re baking a pure vegan recipe. For this recipe, if you’re wanting it to be vegan, you would also want to substitute the butter for coconut oil or a vegan butter substitute.
Here is a quick substitution guide for all diets to enjoy this recipe:
Lactose Intolerant: use almond milk and clarified butter like ghee. Try this coconut whipped cream as a topping.
Gluten Free: Use gluten free oats and cup-for-cup flour
Vegan: Use coconut oil or vegan butter substitution for the butter
If you’ve followed my blog for a while, you know, I love pie but I hate making pie crust! So, when I do make pie it ends up with a more untraditional crust. Here are some other pies that don’t require making pie crust:
A strawberry rhubarb skillet pie recipe that's easily altered for vegan, gluten free, and lactose free diets. This pie is great for breakfast or dessert!
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I used sprouted whole wheat)
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup pure cane sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 stick butter, melted (or coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons milk (regular or almond milk)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of the chia seeds and the 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl then set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, add all filling ingredients: strawberries, rhubarb, honey and chia seeds. Bring the fruit mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until sauce has thickened slightly. The chia seeds will help thicken the sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While the fruit is cooking, combine oats, flour, baking soda, kosher salt and sugar in a large bowl. If you don't have access to cane sugar, brown sugar works fine too.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, honey, milk and chia seed/water mixture.
- Combine wet ingredients into dry until well incorporated.
- Lightly grease a oven proof skillet with butter. Spread 3/4 of the mixture into the skillet, flattening with greased palms or a greased spatula. Bake this bottom crust for 12 minutes at 350.
- Remove the crust from the oven and spread cooled strawberry rhubarb filling evenly over crust.
- Sprinkle reserved 1/4 crust mixture over top of the pie.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon chia seeds on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the crust is well-browned.
- Let cool then slice and serve with coconut cream or ice cream.