I’ve been dreaming up this recipe for several seasons now. A Strawberry Rhubarb Galette with almonds and almond filling. Simple yet elegant and different enough. And yes, I sometimes think of recipes for years, writing down the ideas and just never getting to them on my list and so postponing them to the next season filled with the appropriate ingredients. I’m weird like that, but I guess thats why I’m a food blogger 🙂
I have talked to other bloggers who keep small notebooks by their beds to jot down the ideas that fill their minds. People often ask if I have trouble coming up with ideas… the answer is always no. I have TOO MANY ideas to execute them all! Brainstorming recipe ideas is my very favorite part of my work and it is something I look forward to every month. I have journals upon journals of ideas, old family recipes to re-do, and recipes for inspiration from others.
So yes, it’s true, this one has been on my list for quite sometime and I just can’t believe I’m just now making it! I love throwing almond paste and almond flour into just about any dessert I can. Try this Cobbler made with almond paste in the dough if you haven’t already. I make it every year at least once and think about it the rest of the year. Now, I’ll be thinking about this gazette until strawberry rhubarb season returns.
The best things are always worth waiting for, am I right?!!
My obsession with Strawberries and Rhubarb is no secret, here are more recipes with the same:
Strawberry Rhubarb Coconut Crisp (gluten free)
Strawberry Rhubarb Skillet Pie (vegan)
Also, because great minds think alike… you must also check out this Rhubarb Almond Cake from Floating Kitchen! It’s it gorgeous?! And these Rhubarb Almond Danishes from Food for My Family are also show stoppers. The rhubarb-almond combo is definitely a winner!
Strawberry Rhubarb Almond Galette
for the dough
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, cold
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/3 cup of ice cold water
for the filling
- 4 ounces almond paste*
- 1 cup strawberries (about 1/2 lb), sliced
- 1 cup rhubarb (about 1/2 lb), sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
for the dough
- This is the way I like to make my pie crust but feel free to make it the way you feel comfortable. Use a cheese grater to shred the butter into smaller pieces and place back in the fridge to keep cool. Meanwhile, mix tougher flour, almond flour, sugar and salt. Toss butter pieces into flour, coating the cold butter in flour. Then, use your hands to break up the butter a little more, but not too much so you don't warm it up. Add in the water 2 tablespoons at a time until the dough sticks together. You may only need to add 1/4 cup. Form a ball or disk with the dough and wrap in plastic wrap then, place back into the fridge to rest.
for the filling
- Combine the sliced strawberries and rhubarb in a bowl with the sugar to let macerate at room temp for 10-20 minutes. While they are sitting and getting juicy, roll out the almond paste on a plastic cutting board or parchment paper into a 10 inch circle. This can sit at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare the egg wash - 1 egg with a tablespoon of water and place the sliced almonds in a small bowl. Roll out the pie dough into a circle using more flour as needed. I like to turn and flip the dough as I'm rolling it to prevent it from sticking. Work quickly so the dough doesn't get warm!
- Place rolled out pie dough on a ungreased baking dish. Layer the almond paste circle ontop of the dough in the center then spoon out the fruit (leaving behind any liquid) on top of that. Fold over the dough edges then brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Quickly place the galette into the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, turning as needed to evenly brown the crust.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Galettes are best served the day they are cooked but also make a good breakfast the following day! Serve with vanilla ice cream or greek yogurt.