Tis the season for oatmeal. Around this time every year I start craving a bowl of steaming oats topped with fresh berries, nuts, and a splash of milk. Preferably, I like the oats in a mug or something I can get my hands around to keep my palms warm, while I’m enjoying breakfast. I was inspired recently to pre-make several mornings worth of oats and place them in my favorite glass jars for a quick reheat and tasty meal to go.
When life gets crazy, and is always is around this time of year, I don’t have much time to sit and enjoy breakfast, so taking a jar full of hot steel cut oats on my way out the door is the perfect solution. This is a simple recipe for steel cut oats with flax seeds, chia seeds and berries that you can make on a Sunday before your work week, then enjoy all week long. This recipe brightens my mornings every time and make life just that much easier.
The idea of oats in a jar is quite simple and you could use almost any oatmeal recipe. Ingredients to avoid would be any that you think would get soggy or not stay fresh for a week in the fridge (like bananas). Some of my favorites include Pumpkin Pie Oats and Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Oats – both of which are great recipes for ‘Oats in a Jar.’
- 1 cup of steel cut oats
- 3 cups of water
- 4 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of flax seeds, ground (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup of frozen berries
- 4 jars
- Bring the water to a boil then add the steel cut oats along with the seeds. Let oats come to a boil, then turn to a medium low simmer for 25 minutes until the water is almost all absorbed. Stir in the maple syrup. Divide this mixture into 4 jars then top each jar with a generous amount of frozen berries. Screw on the lids then refrigerate until your busy morning begins.
- Remove the jar lid, then microwave for 1.5 minutes covered with a paper towel (to prevent the berries from splattering all over your microwave). Stir and enjoy with a splash of warmed milk!
Wow! Great idea for a healthy breakfast (in no time flat) all week!
I love this idea! (And also I'm excited to see the BlogHer ads back on your site, just noticed that.
What a great idea! Definitely going to try this one! Found you via Twitter…Kalyn's Kitchen tweeted this.
Being as busy as I am, this is definitely going to be done!
Such a great idea! LOVE it (and pinning it!). 🙂
I want to warm my hands on hot oatmeal in the morning. Such a great idea!
I love anything that has 'in a jar' in the title. Who knew oatmeal could look THIS amazing?!?! I want to dive in, now, and it's 3 in the afternoon!
What a great make-ahead meal. I love oatmeal for breakfast on a cold morning.
Love this idea! I usually skip breakfast because I am in such a hurry to get to campus. Sometimes I grab a cookie, biut you didn't hear that from me 🙂
Now it's oatmeal, instead!
When are you adding in the chia seeds and flax seeds? Stir them in before you divide them into the 4 jars…or topping them with the berries? Thanks…this looks easy AND delicious!! 🙂
So sorry for the confusion Jill! I usually stir them in while I’m cooking the oats. Enjoy!