This Spring Veggie and Goat Cheese Pasta Recipe has brought me back into the land of cooking and excitement of food.
It is a season of receiving for us. I have never felt so in need in my entire life. In need of emotional support, material support etc etc. And honestly most of the time I don’t even know what I need when people ask. Maybe I just need more sleep.
During the month of April we were in and out of the hospital, receiving meals from friends and just surviving day by day. May was only slightly more calm, with less hospital visit, more take out, and a little more time in the sunshine. The last week or so has felt normal, I’ve been cooking again, looking through old cookbooks for inspiration and bringing back the desire to be in the kitchen or behind the camera.
Good food helps to breed this healthier, more normal lifestyle we’re entering back into. And when I say good, I don’t only mean fresh and healthy, I mean food that you savor with every bite. This pasta with creamy goat cheese and herb sauce, loaded with crisp spring veggies, was a bite that gave me back some confidence and excitement in the kitchen. I’m ready to get back in the game and come up with some great recipes this spring and summer for you! So get ready! But start with this one, it’s a sure winner!
Spring Veggie and Goat Cheese Pasta Recipe
- 8 ounces pappardelle (or similar) pasta
- 1/2 bundle of asparagus
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (1/2 lemon zested)
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 packed cup fresh herbs (oregano, basil, mint, parsley or whatever you have!)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add in the pasta and cook according to pasta directions. Add in fresh peas to cook along with the pasta.
- Meanwhile cut asparagus into bite sized pieces. Add in asparagus to the pot for the last 2 minutes.
- Drain all but 3/4 cup of the pasta cooking water. Return veggies and pasta to the pot over low heat. Add in cream, 2 ounces (half) of the goat cheese, 1/2-3/4 cup of the pasta cooking liquid (use however much you want/need to make the pasta sauce-y) salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Toss with the chopped fresh herbs. Serve hot garnished with slices of lemon and the rest of the goat cheese crumbled on top.