I’ve been finding myself at the local library lately. A few weeks ago I nestled into nice comfy seat by the window and while scouring through various cookbooks found a recipe for Spanish Carrots with Fennel and Toasted Hazelnuts. In trying to keep things pretty seasonal around our kitchen (minus the brownie and cookie binge we had recently) this sounded like a perfect recipe to sample. With a few minor changes, I came up with my own version of this dish, adding one of my favorite local ingredients – Honey Wine Vinegar, from Slide Ridge.
While many libraries seem stale and unexciting, the Salt Lake City Library is anything but that. The walls are mostly glass allowing 360 degree views of the mountains and downtown Salt Lake. There is seating at every possible stop and unending isles of books to browse. I often tell myself that I need to visit the library more often, yet this is the very first time I have actually spent a good amount of time there. After finding a few inspiring recipes, I continued to lounge by the window journaling and thinking about entering into the next stage of life, becoming a mother.
While I have no idea of what to except in motherhood, I’m excited about the unknown and entering into something new with the one I love the most, my husband. Though we don’t meet eye to eye on all things parenting, and I’m sure there will be more disagreements, I know he is the perfect one for me to enter into parenthood with. Everyday, the excitement builds and we get closer to reality and to meeting our little guy. We are now almost at the 10 week countdown!
As we continue to count the weeks until he arrives, I’ll continue down my same path of eating seasonally and being creative in the kitchen. After finding this recipe in the cookbook Fast, Fresh and Green, I hopped in my car to pick up the fresh produce it required from Liberty Heights Fresh. This colorful dish is like a calling for spring and new color! The bright flavors awakened me to the nearness of spring and our soon-coming new adventure.
- 1 lb rainbow carrots, peeled, trimmed, and cup into 3/4 in coins
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed, cored, and cut into 3/4 in slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey wine vinegar or sherry*
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, Add the carrots and fennel, and season with salt. Stir well to combine. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally at first and more frequently as the pan begins to brown. Meanwhile, toast the hazelnuts in the heated oven for 5 minutes, then roughly chop.Keep stirring and cooking as the carrots begin to shrink a little and become tender (about 20-25 minutes).
- Add the honey wine vinegar or sherry to the pan and stir well until it has almost evaporated.Sprinkle the paprika over the vegetables and stir for just a few seconds to incorporate the spice and release its flavor. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool for a minute. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with toasted hazelnuts.
- This can be served alongside fish, beef or chicken or standing alone as a beautiful vegetarian dinner.
the sherry will make the dish more savory while the honey wine vinegar will sweeten it up