I didn’t like potato salad until this potato salad. Homemade mayo + roasted potatoes really is a game changer for this dish. My friend Christie whipped up a huge batch of this for our house church picnic one year and I kept coming back for more … and more. I shocked myself at how much I enjoyed a dish I usually kind of despise.
If you’re not usually a potato salad lover or even if you normally like the side-dish, I think you’ll really enjoy this twist on the classic potato salad. Here is my go to homemade mayo recipe (it’s from Martha and is fool-proof). It really does amp up the flavor of the dish and also makes it unprocessed! Make it a day in advance so you have less to prep when you make the potato salad.
Roasting the potatoes is the second element that completely changes this sometimes ordinary side-dish. The potatoes end up brown and almost caramelized on the outside with more flavor and texture than if you just steamed or boiled the potatoes.
Add some spices and crunchy raw veggies like onion and celery and you have the perfect potato salad, at least in my book! Thanks Christie for the inspiration.
Roasted Potato Salad Recipe
- 2.5 lbs potatoes, I like a mixture of red potatoes and yukon gold
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1- 1.5 cups unprocessed mayonnaise, I prefer making it from scratch the day before
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two sheet pans with foil.
- Dice potatoes into even 1 inch pieces. Dice onion (small dice) and slice celery (1/4 inch).
- Toss the potatoes, 3/4 of the diced onion and 1/2 of the sliced celery with the oil and half of the salt and pepper. Reserve the rest of the onion and celery to add raw to the salad along with the extra salt and pepper. Lay the potato, onion, celery mixture out evenly on the two baking sheets, in one layer. Roast for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp.
- Meanwhile, mix together the mayonnaise with the seasonings and the rest of the salt and pepper.
- Once potatoes are done, let cool, then, in a large bowl mix the roasted potatoes with the rest of the onion and celery and all of the mayo mixture. Adjust the seasonings and add more mayo to your preference (I like just one cup but for more traditional you may want to use 1.5-2 cups).
This looks great, can’t wait to try it!
Its simple but SOO good! Hope you’ll give it a try!
Delicious! And so simple too! I will use a little less mayo the next time I make it but it was still so scrumptious. 🙂
Kat, so glad you liked it!! This one really changed my mind on potato salad!!