I have been meaning to make a veggie chili all winter so when my friend Isabel suggested we make Quinoa and Vegetable Chili together, I jumped at the chance. Plus, she’s always good company to have in the kitchen. While the chili simmered we shared about life and nutrition and swap ideas for healthy meals and snacks.
This chili recipe is loaded with veggies and the quinoa soaks up all the extra liquid, leaving you with a chunky, hearty bowl of goodness.
Isabel and I have created a few recipes together, like these kale chips and sweet potato fries. While her day job is nutrition and wellness and I love learning and talking about nutrition and wellness, we always have a lot to talk about. She recently did a series on how to thicken soups that I love. She explains how to make soups more substantial, creamy, and hearty, while still being healthy. We used several of her tricks in this recipe like adding quinoa and reducing the liquid. Check out her post on 7 ways to Healthfully Thicken Soups for more tricks and tips!
Isabel never measures, which can be a problem when you’re trying to come up with a solid recipe to share online 😉 So, I made her measure this time (I think she forgave me) and it still turned out perfect. We measured our spices, water and quinoa, coming up with a simple and easy recipe for you.
This is the kind of meal I could eat every chilly, winter day in Utah. You can make it on a lazy Sunday afternoon and eat it throughout the week. I never get tired of a warm bowl of chili! Somedays I change it up topping it with avocado, greek yogurt, or swirling in Laziz toum (a Lebanese garlic condiment) for an extra kick.
Quinoa Vegetable Chili Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 14.5 oz cans of Italian style stewed tomatoes
- 4-5 medium organic red potatoes, chopped into 1 inch squares (skin left on)
- 2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mexican oregano, optional
- avocado and Greek yogurt for serving
- Saute the celery, garlic, and onion together in the oil, on medium heat, for about 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add cans of tomato and the chopped potatoes*. Stir to combine.
- Add 4 cups of water and the drained black beans and corn.
- Sprinkle the 1/2 cup of quinoa on top of the chili and stir to combine.
- Whisk in spices.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer on medium low, partially covered for about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with fresh avocado and swirl in Greek yogurt into each bowl.