Quinoa and Lentil Veggie Bowls with Carrot Top Vinaigrette.
This is a meal our family could eat once a week. After a recently trip to the farmers market, we had a beautiful bounty of fresh vegetables including these rainbow carrots that we all couldn’t wait to devour. Even the tops of the carrots were just lovely. While I’ll admit that, even though they’re totally edible, I usually discard the carrot tops, but this time I just couldn’t. What came from my love for vegetable beauty and possibly excessive saving, was a tangy carrot top vinaigrette that topped the dish off just perfectly.
Lentils make this dish more of a substantial meal while the roasted veggies and feta add so much flavor. Feel free to adapt this recipe using whatever farmers market produce you find seasonally in your city!
Quinoa, Lentil and Roasted Veggie Bowls
- 5 medium carrots, kept whole and peeled
- 4 beets, kept whole and peeled
- 1/2 bundle of asparagus
- 1 zucchini
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 ounces goat cheese
for the vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup carrot tops, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss carrots and beets, with oil, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl toss asparagus and zucchini in oil and season well with salt and pepper. Line a baking pan with foil and add the beets and carrots. Roast for 25 minutes before adding the asparagus and zucchini.
- Meanwhile, sauté the red onion in a little olive oil, 2-3 minutes. Add the lentils then add in the vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer and cook here for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- While lentils cook, cook the quinoa in 2 cups of water for 18-20 minutes, simmering. Fluff with a fork then set aside to cool.
- Once the 25 minutes is up on the carrots and beets, add in the asparagus and zucchini. Remove any carrots that might be done. Roast the remaining veggies for 15 minutes.
- For the vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- On a large serving platter, layer quinoa, lentils, veggies then top with goat cheese and drizzle vinaigrette over the top.