This fall inspired Pumpkin Seed Pesto with Cilantro is perfect with soups, over squash and in grilled cheese. It’s also vegan, with no cheese added or needed.
I originally made this pesto to drizzle on top of my latest Butternut Squash Soup creation, then once we had it around I found myself putting it on just about everything. I even like it with my eggs and toast in the morning. Pretty much any savory dish that needs a little boost of flavor will benefit from a spoonful of this!
Pumpkin Seed Pesto
This fall inspired pumpkin seed and cilantro pesto is great over squash, soup, with eggs, and in grilled cheese.
- 1/2 cup hulled pumpkin seeds, the green kind
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 cup cilantro, loosely packed
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a small skillet over medium heat add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Add the pumpkin seeds and garlic and cook, stirring, until the seeds start to pop a little (2 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a blender or food processor add in all of the ingredients including the other 1/2 tablespoon of oil and the cooled seeds and garlic. Puree until smooth (or you can leave it a little chunky depending on your pesto preferences :)).
this recipe is inspired by a 2001 Gourmet Magazine
I love this pesto! I put it on my ,butternut risotto! I switch the cilantro to basil sometimes. Thank you!
So glad to hear you’re enjoying this one too!
Delicious! Thank you 🙂
I had some leftover Thai basil and threw that in, had to use it up. Didn’t have green onions on hand. Also, dang, found was out of evoo but really cool, accidental hack: I happened to open a can of grape leaves and I just used some of the oil from that can (which made me feel so savvy LOL).
Will have to check out more recipes.