These Paleo and Gluten Free Chocolate Brownie Muffins have all of the ingredients for a healthy, guilt free dessert. I put them into my ‘everyday dessert’ category, which just means I enjoy these without any excuse on a daily basis. Yep, you’re going to need to double this recipe if you want to have any to share!!
First I must give credit where it’s due. My mother in law shared this recipe with me after a recent visit we had to Texas. She, like me, enjoys her desserts! After a recent trouble with her health she’s had to get creative in the kitchen to find ingredients that her body will enjoy as much as her mind. She used to be known for her Lemon Poppyseed Bread, Cinnamon Rolls, and Cherry Cheesecake but all of that had to end when her health took a tole on her. After a season of no sweets, she was able to reintroduce a few healthy treats back into her diet. Then came these healthy brownie muffins!
Over our visit I had several of these muffins! They are perfect to end the day with or as an afternoon snack. Because they are chalked full of healthy ingredients like zucchini, banana, chia seeds, and almond butter, you’re feeding your body with protein, healthy fats, and nutrients, while also completely, unreservedly having a treat. I kid you not, these are a real treat!
About the recipe
For a pure paleo version use paleo chocolate chips (try the brand Enjoy Life). Sugar free, salted, almond butter is best and raw honey along with raw cacao powder. If you don’t mind going a little stray from the pure paleo version, you can use local honey, dutch processed cocoa powder (sugar free) and chopped dark chocolate. The muffins will turn out well either way. The chia seeds are optional. Without them the muffins are more dense and with them they are more light and fluffy since the seeds absorb some moisture.
We all need a few dessert recipes that can be indulged without any guilt, on a regular basis! So here’s my little gift to you! Thank you Lana for sharing this happy sweet with me!
Paleo Chocolate Brownie Muffins
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds* (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed of excess liquid (about 1 small zucchini)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips* (sugar free)
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a muffin pan with 10 baking cups (I use paper or silicon for this recipe). If using paper cups, spray the liners with coconut oil baking spray.
- In a high powered blender, combine all of the ingredients except the zucchini and chocolate chips. Combine until smooth then add in the zucchini (squeezed of an excess liquid before adding). Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon out the batter into the prepared baking cups about 3/4 full. This fills 10 cups or 12 for smaller muffins.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 375. Cool in pan and store in an sir tight container in the fridge.