In continuation of my thoughts on Christmas and selecting the perfect present for that special someone, I wanted to share with you a recent discovery… Jar Cakes! You can literally mail a deliciously made cake to a friend of family member. Send with a spoon and a sweet note and you have instant happiness.
In order to give a gift that is really received well, you must first know a little about the recipient. For example, are they vegan, gluten free, on a diet, or have any other food restrictions? Do they love pretty packaging or do you just love pretty packaging? I know I do!
I am trying to not just give what I would enjoy but what the recipient would enjoy. Is this as difficult for you as it is for me?
Jar cakes are super fun to make and honestly, they taste really good. You can make any type of cake in a jar. A few that I found that looked delicious are
Of course, you must sterilized the jars first, according the the manufacturers instructions. Then also butter and flour the jars.
The recipe for Hazelnut Marzipan Jar Cakes can be found here. I quadrupled the recipe to make more than just two cakes. These cakes are actually vegan, but I really don’t think you will miss the eggs and real butter this time. Usually vegan desserts turn out more moist than others so I thought it would be a perfect cake to put in a jar so that when it reached its beloved recipient it would not be dry. I especially loved all of the ingredients in this cake…marzipan chocolate bars, freshly brewed coffee, and hazelnuts. I don’t think you could really go wrong with those ingredients. I also added a bit of hazelnut oil to add to the nutty flavor.
1. pick your cake of choice
2. sterilize then butter and flour the jars
3. mix ingredients for your cake
4. fill jars 1/2 to 3/4 full
5. bake according to your cakes directions (note it will take about the time of a cupcake)
6. test with a skewer to see if the cake is done
7. screw on the jar lids while the cake is still hot (if the cake rises above the mouth of the jar you can just press it down with the lid)
8. label the cake and send out to someone you love