During this month of unprocessed eating so far my breakfasts have mainly consisted of oatmeal or granola until I decided to try making this Egg Muffin Recipe. I was inspired by Egg Muffins on Kalyn’s Kitchen blog as well as many recipes for Egg Muffins from the trendy Paleo Diet. Really the possibilities for these little breakfast muffins are limitless and the best part is, they are full of protein and completely unprocessed. With the addition of spicy peppers and kale you also get kicked up flavor and added nutrients like vitamin c, beta carotene and calcium. And of course a little cheese doesn’t hurt either.
These muffins can be made prepared and baked in less than 45 minutes and provide breakfast for a week! Grab two of these on your way out the door in the morning or reheat with a cup of black coffee for a perfect start to the day. A few tips for this recipe: use parchment muffin liners if you can find them, that way you don’t have to spray the liners and the eggs won’t stick.
Also, I used a garlic condiment from Laziz Foods, Toum, to season the eggs a bit, but you can also use minced garlic. If you’re in Salt Lake, you must try this garlic spread, you can find it at the Farmer’s Market and other Farmer’s Markets around town. I’ve really been adding it to pretty much everything lately.
And another note: if you don’t have kale or a spicy pepper lying around, use whatever vegetables you have on hand. Although I loved these vegetarian, with the spicy peppers and kale, next time I think I’ll try adding some bacon or spicy breakfast sausage as well! What’s would be in your ideal Egg Muffin??!
Egg Muffin Recipe with Peppers, Kale, and Cheddar
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup spelt flour, or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 clove or garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 shallot
- 1 cup kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 anaheim chili pepper, or red bell pepper
- Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tin with parchment muffin liners or paper liners sprayed with cooking spray. Chop the kale, shallot and red pepper. Mince the garlic if you're using whole garlic.
- In a large bowl whisk all of the eggs together with the milk and flour. If there are a few bubbles of flour that's okay, they will cook out. Add in garlic, salt and pepper.
- In the muffin pan divide out vegetables, shallot, and cheese. Using a 1/4 measuring cup pour egg mixture into each muffin liner.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.