My friend Heidi and I have been making dinner together once a week. It’s a way for us to spend time together and provide a meal for our families. We switch off coming up with a recipe so we’ve both added a few to our repertoire. This recipe for Curry Chicken with Cashews, Cauliflower and Green Beans is an old favorite from the blog that was in dire need of new photos (see below). The recipes we’ve made so far are easy and quick, perfect for weeknight meals. For this recipe if you use pre-cooked chicken (from a rotisserie or sometimes I cook a large amount of chicken at the beginning of the week) then the recipe should only take 15-20 minutes! I hope to
share more of our quick weeknight meals soon!
Curry Chicken with Cashews and Cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 - 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 can whole coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/3 cup water or vegetable broth
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed then cooked
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch segments
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower, cut into florets (or a mixture of cauliflower and broccoli)
- 1/3 cup cashews, toasted
- 2-3 green onions, sliced thin
- In a large sauce pan heat up the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook 2-3 minutes then add garlic and ginger and cook another 30 seconds. Stir in the curry powder. Slowly add in the coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add in the salt, veggies and vegetable broth or water. Cover and simmer for just about 5 minutes, maybe two - or just until the cauliflower and beans lose their raw edge and cook through a bit (remaining crunchy). Remove the pot from heat and stir in the cooked chicken and cashews.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning (salt / curry powder) if needed. Serve over brown rice and garnish with chopped green onion.
Old text and photo from this post (I hope this doesn’t turn you off from cooking this tasty meal!!)-
April 14, 2009
Thanks to the lovely Heather who blogs at Twine and Twig I have a stylin new blog! And what a beautiful day to launch a new design on my blog..HA! It’s a rainy day here in Utah – very fitting for what’s going on in my life right now. The company I work for is in financial crisis, like many companies across the nation, so I am officially looking for another job. I’m sure many people are in the same situation as me right now and much worse! I still have a job for now but it’s not looking so good since my boss resigned yesterday. I’m hoping to find another Marketing job in Travel and Tourism or maybe venture into the professional culinary world. I would really love to be a food journalist…maybe someday:) It’s a bit scary not knowing what’s next but I am staying hopeful. A friend shared this with me and it really struck a chord with me as I enter into the unknown- Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not into your own understanding, in all ways acknowledge him and he will set your paths straight (Proverbs 3:5-6) I hope it encourages you as it did me and I hope this spicy dish warms up your soul as it did mine.