We’re eating meals like these Chicken Gyro Bowls all summer. Light, fresh and filling and you can use pretty much any vegetable you have on hand or whats in season. For these bowls I like to start with a bowl of crisp greens mixed with quinoa, lentils and chopped fresh herbs. Toss those all together for your base.
Then there’s the dressing. I told you about this one last week and these bowls are just another use for it. This Greek Yogurt Dressing with dill is an easy and guilt-less one to enjoy.
Lastly, you have quick-marinated chicken and feta cheese. Then pile your bowls high the fresh summer veggies. We like cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, radishes and pickled red onions. If you’ve never pickled red onions before I promise it’s easy and so worth while – 5 minutes and 3 ingredients! Here’s my pickled red onion recipe.
Our summer has been just about as colorful as these bowls. Just this weekend we spent our days in Torrey, Utah. I only have 3 weeks left until the baby’s due date so we’re taking full advantage of the summer fun until our new fun begins. In Torrey, we ate well, relaxed well by the pool, and enjoyed the beautiful surroundings. It’s really incredible to live so close to such an other-worldly area. The red mountains mixed with white rock and green trees literally takes my breath away at every visit.
While Everett and I enjoyed taking it easy, Josh was doing quite the opposite. He ran his first 50 miler. Is he crazy, you might say?! Yes, maybe, but this is part of who he is. He loves to challenge himself in ways that most people don’t risk. He does this in business and in pleasure (if you call running 50 miles pleasure). We were so proud, and relieved, to see him cross the finish line and accomplish one of his biggest physical and mental goals.
It’s meals like these that healthfully fuel our little family to feel our best! Hope you’ll enjoy them too.
For more seasonal, feel-good recipes around the web, please click on the blog links below for recipes!
Chinese Napa Cabbage Salad by Food for My Family
Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Spicy Corn-Cherry Salsa by Floating Kitchen
Grilled Green Onion & Sweet Potato Salad with Warm Chèvre by Simple Bites
Chicken Gyro Bowls with Summer Veggies with Fresh Summer Veggies by Vintage Mixer
Latin Chipotle Quinoa Salad with Avocado by Foodie Crush
Broccoli Kale Salad with Greek Yogurt Poppyseed Dressing by Flavor the Moments
Peasy Easy Sweet Pea Mint Soup by Letty’s Kitchen
Grilled Summer Squash with Feta, Lemon & Fresh Herbs by Mountain Mama Cooks
Artichoke and Avocado Dip by Kitchen Confidante
Grilled Squash, Corn and Kale Salad by Completely Delicious
Chicken Gyro Bowls
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup cooked lentils, (cooked in veg broth)
- 1 cup mixed greens, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup mixed herbs, roughly chopped (mint, oregano, parsley, thyme)
- Greek Yogurt Dressing
- Pickled Red Onions
- 2 chicken breasts, about 4 ounces each
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- radishes, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, olives, pickled red onions, chickpeas, feta
- Cook the quinoa and lentils then let cool.
- Toss the chicken with lemon juice and coat with the spice mixture. Let marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- While chicken is resting, blend together the Greek yogurt dressing and prep the pickled red onions.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the seasoned chicken and cook for 4 minutes on the first side then flip and continue cooking 2-4 minutes or until no longer pink in the center and juices come out clear.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the toppings, slice, chop etc, then place in in separate bowls or on a large platter. Toss the greens and herbs with the quinoa and lentils. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Layer bowls with quinoa mixture, chopped veggies, chicken, feta, then Greek Yogurt Dressing.
if only we lived closer….i’d invite myself over. 🙂
OR we’d meet at the park for a big picnic!! 🙂 🙂
This is the perfect meal for me. I love some giant salad bowls! That dressing sounds amazing, too!
Thanks friend! Hope you’re having an awesome summer!
And another thing about this salad–it’s easy to be vegetarian. So, I’ll just skip the chicken and salad away! Congrats to Josh!
Thanks Letty! And yes to a vegetarian version! Maybe more heavy on the chickpeas and you could even quick roast or saute them in the same spices as the chicken.
Just 3 more weeks to go? How time flies! I swear, it was just yesterday when I met you and you were expecting E! I have been craving gyros lately – my favorite little taverna in town recently closed (sob!) so this is just what I need.
I’m always craving gyros!! I just find new ways of getting that fix 🙂 And that is so crazy that we met 3+ years ago now… how time flies and kids grow so quickly.
Oh my — 3 weeks until the baby comes! It’s going to go so fast. If gyro is in the title I know I’m going to love it, and I so love meal bowls. The hearty grains here are even better than pita bread, and that dressing looks like something I could eat by the spoonful. 🙂
I’m a sucker for gyro anything too 😉 And my husband really does eat the sauce by the spoonful!
50 miles. What an accomplishment. I’m so glad you enjoyed your time down south and these bowls are gorgeous. Love the idea of mixing quinoa with the greens!
Thanks so much Kelley!