Making something both nutritious and easy for weekday mornings is a big priority at my house. These carrot and date bran muffins have been a big hit at our house lately and we’ve made them at least 3-4 times, each time making the recipe a little better (but enjoying every batch along the way). The recipe was originally from The Sprouted Kitchen Cookbook but I never had all of the ingredients on hand so I had to do some major improvising. Josh grabs one or two of these muffins on the go while Everett and I are more snails-like in the mornings. We sit and eat at our own pace, soaking in the slow moments of the morning. These muffins, some yogurt swirled with homemade jam and some coffee for mama, make for a pretty perfect morning 🙂
Mornings and breakfast are especially important to me. I look forward to the quiet time of mornings and to something satisfying for breakfast. Sometimes there’s music, maybe I’ll read a little in the Bible, there may be a candle flickering, but there’s always breakfast! I never skip it and neither does Everett. We both can’t understand how Josh simply forgets it from time to time.
These muffins are simple to make at the beginning of the week and then enjoy all week long. I like to reheat them in the oven for about 5-8 minutes but Josh just grabs one a room temp (if he grabs anything at all). Everett can eat these with no help from me so he’s occupied for a few minutes so we can both relax, enjoy each other and some peace before the day hits us.
Since carrots are in season all winter and are almost always cheap. These muffins will be a standby for us through the cold months. Check out all of the great seasonal recipe ideas from around the web below. There’s a fabulous group of bloggers eating seasonal and we will also be sharing our favorite seasonal holiday recipes next month so stay tuned! Follow the #eatseasonal hashtag for more seasonal recipe ideas!
I usually take my blog photos while Everett is asleep but he was awake for this one and would not leave the muffins alone. He kept coming in my shot, trying to steal the muffin and I finally just let it happen and he pawed away until he could snatch a few bites. Giving me the perfect photo to share!
Carrot and Date Bran Muffins
- 1 cup milk (whole or buttermilk)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot (about 2 carrots)
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup pure cane sugar, plus more for muffin tops
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a standard muffin pan.
- In a large bowl mis together wet ingredients - milk, melted butter, egg, and vanilla. Stir in dated and carrots and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl sift together the dry ingredients - flour, oat bran, almond meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, sea salt, and ginger.
- Gently mis the dry ingredients into the wet, being careful nit to over mix (you don't need a stand mixer for this a wooden spoon will do the job). Let sit for 5 minutes to poof up a bit.
- Fill prepared muffin tin with batter and top with a sprinkle of coarse sugar.
- Bake for about 23 minutes, until tops are browned.
- Serve warm or store in an air-tight container for 5 days.
Beet Braised Lentils with Thyme and Apples by Simple Bites
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese Sliders with Gorgonzola & Arugula by Climbing Grier Mountain
Kale and Ricotta Stuffed Shells with Butternut Squash Sauce by Completely Delicious
Warm Spinach Salad with Mushroom-Bacon Vinaigrette by Mountain Mama Cooks
Apple Bread with Brown Butter Glaze by Two Peas and Their Pod
Mini Chicken Pot Pies by My Name is Yeh
Fall Frisee Salad by Cafe Johnsonia
Microwave Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal by Project Domestication
Pumpkin Butter Smoothie by Kitchen Confidante
Fried Green Tomatoes Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Foodie Crush
Carrot and Date Bran Muffins by Vintage Mixer