Yesterday I shared how to bottle your own holiday cocktails but what you need now is a fabulous cocktail to bottle!! So, today I’m sharing with you one of my favorite fall cocktail recipes – Caramel Apple Cider Cocktails. These are fabulous for Thanksgiving or any friend gatherings you have this fall and winter. The cocktails are sweetened naturally with pure honey and a vanilla syrup made with vanilla beans and cane sugar. Add a touch of cinnamon some calvados and apple cider, and you have the perfect cold weather cocktail! Serve these hot or cold, bottled, in mugs or in cocktail glasses – your friends will enjoy them in any fashion!
I chose top shelf ingredients mostly from Liberty Heights Fresh for this cocktail. They have local apple cider, a great selection of gourmet simple syrups like the vanilla bean one above, my favorite cinnamon- Red Ape Cinnamon, and a raw honey. The VSOP calvados is one notch above most calvados but feel free to use whatever you can find. Calvados is a French Apple Brandy. We did find that the honey flavor made a real difference on how caramel-y they tasted since we used Meadowfoam honey which has flavors of caramelized custard and burnt sugar.
Here are the simple steps to making this cocktail:
1. Pour 16 ounces of apple cider and 6 ounces of calvados into a large glass jar.
2. Add the juice of 1 lemon.
3. Add vanilla bean simple syrup (you can use another vanilla simple syrup or just simple syrup here)
4. Add honey and cinnamon. We used Meadowfoam Honey from Bee Raw (find this a Liberty Heights Fresh), which is sweet with notes of caramelized custard and burnt sugar (these flavors were perfect to add the caramel flavor to the drink). For the cinnamon we use Red Ape.
5. Stir, stir, stir.
6. Strain the juice into something that will pour easily into bottles if you are bottling these. (the straining will remove any clumps of honey or left behind lemon seeds)
You can serve these hot or cold, in bottles or in cosy mugs! Enjoy them with friends and family this holiday season!
- 32 ounces apple cider
- 12 ounces calvados
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey, we used Meadowfoam from Bee Raw Honey
- 6 tablespoons vanilla flavored syrup, we used Sonoma Simple Syrup
- 4 lemons, juiced
- directions for bottling homemade cocktails
The easiest way to make these for bottling is to make them in batches of 2 bottles or 4 bottles. My instructions below are for four bottles so you will repeat this just once for the whole recipe (8 bottles total). And you can double or triple this depending on your party size.
In a large glass jar mix 16 ounces of cider with 6 ounces of calvados. Juice one full lemon into the mix. Add 2 tablespoons of honey and stir well to make sure the honey incorporates into the mixture (this may take a few minutes). Add 3 tablespoons of vanilla syrup then 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. Stir, stir, stir.
Pour into glasses or sanitized bottles. You may serve this chilled or warm by heating up the bottles in a large pot of simmering water for about 10 minutes.