This healthy version of the classic Chicken and Broccoli Casserole is one the whole family will love. My kids always want seconds and thirds and then more for lunch the next day. The best part is, it’s topped with crunchy chips instead of bread crumbs and loaded with quinoa, so it’s naturally gluten free, and packed with protein.
My latest obsession – Broccoli, is getting out of control. Yes, we all like broccoli. It’s like the staple American veggie, I know, but somehow I’m stuck on it this season. I’ve made Classic Broccoli and Cheese Soup, Roasted and Charred Broccoli with Pasta (vegan and gf), and now this Broccoli and Chicken Quinoa Casserole. Other than that, I’ve been tossing broccoli in with my eggs, into stir frys, and slicing up the little florets to dip into hummus or baked ricotta. Broccoli, your uses are just limitless for me!
Speaking of obsessions, my husband is in a quinoa phase. He requests it at least for one meal a week and could eat it daily without tire (see his favorite quinoa salad here). So, our obsessions meet in this easy comforting dish. This recipe, though not dairy free due to the milk and cheese, is easily gluten free. Often times I’ll top the dish with chip crumbles, you know the stuff at the bottom of the bag. That is, if I can get to it before Josh tilts the whole bag over, letting the crumbs fall right into his pie hole (a habit my son has now also taken on). So, if you have them, use potato chip crumbles, or top the dish off with toasted bread crumbs. Whatever your pleasure but the crispy top really adds to the recipe.
What are your go-to dishes, family staples, or latest obsessions?! I’d love to hear!! I absolutely love finding new recipes to camp out on for a while. This is definitely one for our family and I hope you enjoy it too!
Chicken and Broccoli Quinoa Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, uncooked
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 head of broccoli, about 1/2 lb
- 1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
for bread crumbs or chip topping
- 1/3 cup chips or bread crumbs*
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9 x 9 baking dish or one of similar size.
- Using a the bottom pan of a steamer, start cooking the quinoa in the vegetable broth. Once it starts to simmer turn heat to medium low and cover with the steamer pot and lid. Set timer to 18 minutes for quinoa. Add chopped broccoli into the steamer above the quinoa (alternately you can use two pans but this is just to save pans). Steam broccoli for the last 5-8 minutes of the quinoa cooking time or until tender. Remove broccoli when done and recover quinoa as needed until its done cooking.
- Add in steamed broccoli, chicken, cheddar, milk, and seasonings to quinoa pot and stir to combine.
- Transfer quinoa mixture to the prepared baking dish and top with a little extra cheddar and 1/3 cup crumbled potato chips.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Serve warm.