Breakfast Crisp! A brilliant idea, right?!! I am definitely not the inventor of this but I will gladly carry it out and on throughout this fruitful season! My version is filled with apricots and pitted cherries and topped with a gluten free almond flour and oat crust. Serve it with a dollop of greek yogurt in the morning or for a real special treat pour a little cream over the top.
I wish I was a more savory eater in the mornings. Because that’s whats best for me, right?! But its meals like these that I really want when I wake up. Comforting, sweet, crunchy and flavorful. Luckily, this recipe is also a healthy one nearly being sugar free and gluten free!
I’ll gladly save the eggs and avocados for lunch time and eat this for breakfast. Any one else with me?!
Apricot and Cherry Breakfast Crisp
- 1.5 lbs apricots seeds removed and quartered
- 1 lb fresh cherries pitted and halved
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons pure cane sugar optional*
- pinch of sea salt
for the crumble topping
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten free if needed)
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds and/or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Greek yogurt, honey or maple syrup for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash, pit and slice the fruit. In a medium mixing bowl add the lemon juice, sugar, and sea salt.
- Toss to combine everything well with the fruit.
- For the crumble topping, in a large mixing bowl combine the oats, almond meal, almonds, cinnamon and salt. This can be prepared the day before, as well as the fruit mixture above (keep separate). Right before baking, add the maple syrup, melted coconut oil and vanilla to the oat and nut mixture and mix again.
- In a 2.5 quart baking dish or 8 inch square pan, spread out the sweetened fruit. Top with the crumble mixture and spread out evenly. Bake on the middle rack for 30 minutes or until top is browned. Let cool for 10 minutes. Serve with Greek yogurt and extra honey or maple syrup.