I’ve been enlightened to the world of vegan baking. Two sweet gals, Joy and Jenn, have handed me more than a few vegan sweet treats that really rocked my world. Thus, I was motivated to see if I could return the favor. I found a brilliant cookie recipe from Steph Chows. The results: a nutty, sweet, chewy, cookie with a melted chocolate center…a vegan miracle. I’m still amazed by vegan baking, and consider it a kitchen miracle when I cook up something that is not bad for me and also delicious. This cookie could quite possibly be one of my favorite cookies.
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup almond butter, my favorite is Justin's Nut Butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbs flax meal plus 3 Tbs water
- 1 bar of your favorite chocolate, broken into 20 1/2 inch pieces
- In a small bowl mix the flax meal and water.
- In a mixer, cream the almond butter and brown sugar.
- Whisk the other dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Add flax mixture to almond/sugar mixture, then add in dry ingedients. Mix until incorporated. Using your hands grab off 1" size balls and stuff a hunk of dark choclate into the center of each, roll into balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes
Enjoy with a glass of almond milk!