I know it’s a ‘thing’ to sneak in vegetables to your family meals but why can’t we just feed our family vegetables. Maybe I’m naive in this (my kiddo is only 1 and a half) but veggies are delicious and sometimes they make ordinary meals like spaghetti even more flavorful. This roasted veggie pasta sauce is straight up veggies in all their glory, roasted in the oven until they are slightly brown and caramelized, then blended into thick and almost creamy sauce. All you need is a blender and an assortment of veggies!
I’M GIVING AWAY A BLENDTEC BLENDER WITH THIS POST SO MAKE SURE AND READ THE DETAILS BELOW!
GIVEAWAY: I’ve been waiting for a fun opportunity to share this recipe with you and now I have just the reason. When my actual vintage blender broke I had a fantastic opportunity to get a new blender and also give away a Blentec blender to one of you! You can enter today through
next Thursday (the WINNER is Allison Adelman!!) the 30th by commenting with your favorite non-smoothie blender foods. I love a good smoothie but let’s think a little outside the box – desserts, appetizers, soups etc! Can’t wait to read the ideas!! And for a second entry you can follow me on another social media platform – Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, or google +. Just leave it in your comment that you started following me there.
Here are a few other not-so-sneaky veggie dishes that my family loves:
This recipe has just a few simple steps
1. Chop the veggies
2. Roast the veggies
3. Blend the veggies (I usually blend half and leave the rest for the top of the pasta dish)
4. Toss sauce and veggies with cooked hot pasta
No special equipment is needed but a good blender does make the sauce extra creamy and smooth! A Blentec makes this pure bliss!
A few other things I really enjoy about the Blentec blender is that is that you can quickly make salad dressings and smaller portions of things like pureed veggies or baby food. So far, we’ve used it for soups, of course, smoothies, baby foods, nut milks and homemade flours (like oat flour or almond flour). I’m looking forward to making nut butters, soft serve ice cream and maybe even a few icy cocktails!
I’m so grateful my family loves vegetables and I hope yours do too!! But if not, I guess its okay to be a little sneaky:)
This Roasted Vegetable Pasta Sauce made in a blender is way better than ordinary marinara!
- 3 Roma tomatoes, sliced into quarters
- 1/2 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 3 carrots
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5-10 basil leaves
- 1 package of pasta, to serve (I like whole wheat spaghetti with this sauce)
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, to serve
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Slice up tomatoes, onion, garlic, and vegetables. Place everything except the squash on a foil lined roasting pan or cookie sheet. Try to have the veggies not overlapping. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast this mixture for 30 minutes. Drizzle about a teaspoon of olive oil over the squash then season it with salt and pepper. After 30 minutes add the squash onto the roasting pan and flip the other veggies. Roast for another 10-15 minutes or until squash and carrots are soft.
- Meanwhile cook up some pasta (I like to use whole wheat spaghetti with this sauce).
- Once veggies are done, transfer half of them into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the sauce over hot pasta then top with remaining veggies and parmesan cheese.