I’ve been making a lot of roasted chickpeas lately, throwing them on salads, over soup or just snacking on them as I work. They are perfectly crunchy and filling. After a few times of making them, and a few tips from friends and cookbooks (thanks for the honey trick Jen!!), I think I have them perfected.
Roasting chickpeas is so easy… getting
them perfectly crispy- not
so easy. If you’re looking to make them extra crispy, make sure you dry them well and remove most of the skins. To get the skins off the beans you can squeeze them with your thumb and index finger or rub them with a paper towel. Once they’re dry with skins removed you can toss them in the spices and oil. Bake, toss, then bake again, drizzle with honey, then bake again. Hope that’s simple enough!
Here are some ideas of what you could use them on top of –
Sweet and Spicy Roasted Chickpeas great for snacking, on salads or to top soups.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Drain, rinse then dry the chickpeas. Discard any loose skins by pinching the beans in between your thumb and index finger (the beans should pop right our of their skins).
- Mix the salt, cumin, paprika and oil, then toss the dried beans into the mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Shake the pan to prevent them from sticking then bake for another 10 minutes.
- *Drizzle with honey then place back into the oven for 5-8 minutes or until crispy.
to make sure the chickpeas are crispy dry them well before tossing them in oil. If you choose not to add the honey at the end just make sure and continue baking them for about 5 minutes.