Wherever I am, I’m always on the hunt for new inspiration. Weather I’m at a restaurant with friends or on a trip. This recipe was inspired by a dessert I sampled at one of the lounges at Alt Summit. Since I’ve been recently experimenting more with Greek Yogurt in Desserts, like this Greek Yogurt Cheesecake, a little sign signaling me towards Chocolate and Yogurt Parfaits easily caught my eye. This light, satisfying dessert, with layers of creamy vanilla and chocolate, was stored in my mind to recreate soon.
Last week I had the pleasure of attending my first conference. Alt Summit hosts creative entreprenuers from around the country (some even from other countries!) all meeting right here in Salt Lake City. What I did expect from the conference was to learn and be challenged creatively but what I didn’t expect was to be inspired and encouraged not just by the speakers but the attendees as well.
I met a variety of bloggers, some amazing food bloggers, as well as travel bloggers, diy bloggers, and lifestyle bloggers. I also ran into app developers, event coordinators, photographers, and interior designers. The Grand America was busting with creative energy.
As the creative juices were flowing around the conference, so were the tasty snacks. In between speakers, many frequented the lounges for sweet treats, sodas or hot chocolate.
My two favorite parts of the conference were getting to know some of the other food bloggers more in depth… like beyond the online scene to seeing photos of their family, dogs and hearing about their lives. And secondly, I loved having the honor of touring a group around the city for a local food tour. You can read more about the food tour soon on theSLCfoodie.com. We made stops for a light lunch, award winning chocolate, cheese, salami, coffee, and of course pastries! We hopped on and off our little bus to get all of the best tastes Salt Lake has to offer. I think some who attended were surprised by all of the national recognition our city is getting in regards to food and drink!
After a few days of inspiration and meeting of new friends I’ll leave you with my recipe inspired by Alt Summit:
recipe inspired by the Better Homes and Gardens dessert served at Alt Summit
- 2 cups plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 oz mascarpone cheese (1/4 cup; you can also use goat cheese)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (you can also use vanilla extract)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup raspberry preserves (I used Amour Spreads)
- fresh berries to garnish
- In a food processor combine greek yogurt, mascarpone, and honey. Process for 1.5 minutes or until the ingredients until they're velvety smooth.
- Reserve 1 cup of the yogurt mixture, adding the vanilla bean paste to that part. Add cocoa to the remaining mixture and process or whisk until smooth.
- Layer half of the chocolate mixture in 4-6 small glasses or jars. Spoon a few tablespoons of the vanilla bean mixture over the chocolate. Top with remaining chocolate mixture. Chill for at least 3 hours.
- In a small sauce pan, heat raspberry jam until just melted. Spoon over parfaits. Top with fresh berries.
you may substitute the goat cheese for the mascarpone, vanilla extract for the vanilla bean paste, and use whatever jam that you have on hand to top the parfaits off!