Blessings were poured over me this weekend. Blueberry Pistachio Granola over homemade vanilla bean yogurt, a lodge overlooking the mountains at Deer Valley Resort, and inspirational conversation over coffee with new friends and old.
A small group of bloggers came together for
a cause bigger than the food on our plates. We gathered to discuss the future of Bloggers Without Borders, a community that engages with non-profit organizations which are committed to the health, wholeness and equality to food systems in the U.S. and abroad. We brainstormed, made goals, sought advice, and picked each others brains throughout the weekend. And of course we had some delicious meals, some provided by Deer Valley and others we made with our own hands in the spacious kitchen at the lodge. This homemade granola fueled our long morning meeting and was the perfect breakfast to be enjoyed in a mountain lodge during the summertime.
I was encouraged and inspired by the women blogging here in Utah and the gals who came in town all the way from the East and West coasts. Many who have a desire to be a part of lasting change in the food systems here and abroad. We are most excited not by what we as individuals can do but the limitless possibilities of what the online community of food bloggers are capable of doing to change the health and hunger that exists. Please stay tuned at Bloggers Without Borders, for more information about how you can play a role in this vision.
Recipe inspired by Maggy from Three Many Cooks, Sabrina from The Tomato Tart, Lillian from Sweets by Sillianah, and myself. Food photography by all of us and props by Deer Valley, Weck Jars, and Sabrina (her green polka dot shirt is our make-shift kitchen towel..you have to get a little creative when you’re away from your own kitchen).
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup dried-blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
- Heat coconut oil, honey, water and salt over medium high heat until warm and incorporated together. Combine the oats, pistachios, and coconut flakes in a large bowl. Pour the hot mixture over the oats.
- Bake the granola for about 45-50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to avoid burning. It should be golden and should not smell burnt (timing granola is kind of an art). Mix in blueberries after removing the granola from the oven.