I’ve been dying to try avocado in dessert form ever since seeing this avocado key lime pie recipe from my friend Jen. I’ve also been seeing a lot of vegan ice cream recipes that look intriguing. This summer I’ve been experimenting a lot with different ice creams flavor combos some more healthy than others. This Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream incorporates a lot of healthy yet creamy ingredients making it one of my favorite creations yet. It also contains no dairy and hardly any sugar and is completely vegan… crazy, right?! But I promise the end result is smooth and creamy rich chocolate ice cream.
Or if you want to make this into an ice cream torte, try my recipe for Dairy Free Ice Cream Torte.
- 1 avocado
- 6-8 medjool dates
- 1/2 cup sweetened cocoa (use a high quality chocolate cocoa for best results)
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste
- honey to taste
- Remove the pits from the dates and roughly chop. Place avocado, and dates in food processor, then add cocoa, coconut milk, salt and vanilla, and process until well combined. Gradually add honey until its sweet enough for your taste.
- Churn in an ice cream maker according to ice cream machine directions.
- Serve with toasted coconut flakes.