Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Corn Salad Recipe
A spicy sweet potato, black bean and corn salad recipe great on its own or in quesadillas, burritos or nachos.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, or 3 large, chopped into bite size cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3-4 ears fresh corn, kernels removed (1 cup)
- 2 cups black beans, 1 whole can rinsed and drained
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in abodo sauce, depending on your desire for spice, 1 is medium 2 is hot
- 1 1/2 tablespoons abodo sauce, from the canned chipotle pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 limes, juiced
- 3/4 cup canola or mild olive oil
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Slice the sweet potato into 3/4 inch chunks. In a large bowl toss the sweet potato chunks with the oil. Lightly coat them with coriander, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Toss again. Spread the potatoes in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet and roast until their golden on the edges and just tender about 25-30 minutes meanwhile steam or microwave the corn and a small amount of water from 3 to 5 minutes. In a large serving bowl combine the corn and drained black beans.
To make the dressing, in a blender or food processor add the chipotle chili, garlic cloves, honey and abode sauce and process until mixture is smooth. Add the lime juice and process again. Then while the machine is running, slowly pour in the canola oil and process dressing until emulsified (or thickened and not separated).
When the sweet potatoes are done let cool slightly and add them to the corn and beans. Add the scallions and cilantro and gently toss. Pour half of the dressing over the salad and toss again. Use the other half to serve alongside the salad as people can add more if they choose.