Turkey Chili with Kale
A quick and healthy turkey chili recipe with beans, corn, and kale.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, optional
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar, plus more to taste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth, plus more to taste
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of corn, 15 ounces or 2 cups frozen
- 2-3 cups Dino or Tuscan kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
- optional- roasted sweet potatoes with sliced avocado, for serving
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add in the ground turkey and brown. Use a spatula to flip and break up the turkey as it cooks but don't stir too often or the meat won't brown. Season with half of the salt and pepper. Cook for 6-8 minutes then transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
Use 1/2 of the leftover grease or juices from the meat to cook the onion, celery and carrots. Sauté for 2-3 minutes then add in the garlic and continue to cook for 30 more seconds. Add in seasonings, including the other half of the salt and pepper. Then add in tomato paste and brown sugar. Cook, coating the onions in the spices for 2 minutes. Add in the crushed tomatoes and use a wooden spoon to stir and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.Add in chicken broth then cooked turkey. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Add in the drained beans. Drain just half of the corn juices (if using canned) and add the corn plus its juices to the pot. Stir in the kale until wilted, 1-2 minutes or less.
Serve over roasted sweet potatoes with slices of avocado.