Mashed Rutabaga with Ginger-Roasted Pears and Hazelnuts
A healthy side dish to add to your Thanksgiving table- Mashed Rutabaga with Ginger Roasted Pears
- 4 pounds rutabagas, peeled, cut into 3/4- to 1-inch cubes (6-8 rutabagas)
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 Anjou pears, 3 peeled and cubed and 1 sliced for garnishing
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons of hazelnuts, chopped and roasted for 5 min
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut oil
- Coarse kosher salt
Cook rutabagas in pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 35 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Spray large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray. Combine oil, lemon juice, ginger, and sugar in large bowl. Add pears; toss to coat. Spread the cubed pear and sliced pear on prepared sheet. Roast until tender, turning pears every 10 minutes, about 35 minutes total. During the last 5 minutes add in the hazelnuts to roast.
Drain rutabagas; return to same pot. Mash to coarse puree. Stir over medium heat until excess moisture evaporates, 5 minutes. Add cream, butter. Mix in pears and any juices from baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Transfer to microwave-safe bowl. Cover; chill. Rewarm at 1-minute intervals, stirring.
Top with the sliced pear, fresh thyme, a drizzle of hazelnut oil and roasted hazelnuts.