Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe
A simple coffee cake recipe perfect for using spring rhubarb.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, or butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, white whole wheat or all purpose also work
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds, optional
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4-1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup nuts, I used hazelnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, optional
In a stand mixer cream together the coconut oil or butter along with the brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time.
In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients - flour, salt, baking powder and chia seeds. The chia seeds are totally optional.
Add in the dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk.
Fold in rhubarb.
Pour batter into a greased and parchment lined 9 inch springform pan (you can also use a 9 x 13 inch rectangle pan or a 9 inch round pan.
Mix together the additional sugar, nuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Sprinkle this mixture ontop of the batter.
Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve warm.