Coq au Vin Recipe
A traditional coq au vin recipe served over creamy polenta.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 1/2 lbs chicken thighs and breast, any combo of chicken pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large carrots
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 10 ounce can of beef consommé, you can also use beef stock or chicken stock
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Coarsely crumble bacon, and set aside.
Meanwhile, combine flour, salt, and pepper in a large heavy duty, zip-top bag. Add chicken pieces , seal, and shake well to coat.
Heat bacon grease back up and sear coated chicken 3-4 minutes per side. Set seared chicken aside with bacon
Add in extra olive oil as needed then add in onion, carrots, green pepper and garlic. Sauté over medium low for 5-8 minutes. Add in red wine and let it reduce by half. Then add in beef consommé, chicken and bacon, and cook for 25-30 minutes on a low simmer.
Enjoy over creamy polenta.