Carrot and Date Bran Muffins
A healthy breakfast bran muffin with carrots and dates.
- 1 cup milk (whole or buttermilk)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot (about 2 carrots)
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup pure cane sugar, plus more for muffin tops
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a standard muffin pan.
In a large bowl mis together wet ingredients - milk, melted butter, egg, and vanilla. Stir in dated and carrots and set aside.
In another mixing bowl sift together the dry ingredients - flour, oat bran, almond meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, sea salt, and ginger.
Gently mis the dry ingredients into the wet, being careful nit to over mix (you don't need a stand mixer for this a wooden spoon will do the job). Let sit for 5 minutes to poof up a bit.
Fill prepared muffin tin with batter and top with a sprinkle of coarse sugar.
Bake for about 23 minutes, until tops are browned.
Serve warm or store in an air-tight container for 5 days.