Every winter I make some version of this winter citrus salad, then forget that I’ve made and posted something so similar (like this or this). I guess it’s obvious that I’m drawn to these same ingredients around this time every year. This version includes kale farro, avocado, grapefruit, blood oranges and hazelnuts… so many of my favorite things in one bowl!
We served this salad alongside polenta and braised beef, it was the perfect winter meal to enjoy with friends. My friend Annalise brought
her signature creme brulee and we all took turns with the little torch bruleeing our desserts. It was a fun night of combining new and old friendships, good wine, and as always, great food!
If you haven’t had farro yet, put it on your list of grains to try. Its my absolute favorite. I enjoy it for breakfast, in place of rice or quinoa, and in soups or salads like this one. It’s chewier and more substantial than a lot of other grains and has a nutty flavor. I first discovered it during our trip to Italy and haven’t been the same since! Some of my other favorite farro recipes include this Butternut Squash over Farro and Chickpeas, Farro Salad with Kumquats, Beets and Avocado, Roasted Cauliflower over Farro with Red Pepper Cream Sauce, Farro Pesto Salad Recipe with Edamame, and Strawberry Rhubarb Breakfast Farro.
If you’re like me and hate peeling oranges, so much so that you almost avoid eating them all together.
You must pick up one of these citrus peelers – life changing. I’ll be eating citrus all winter long now.
More winter citrus salad recipes:
A winter citrus salad recipe with kale, avocado, farro and hazelnuts.
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed and leaves torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 blood orange, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/2 avocado, sliced into 1/2 inch squares or slices
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup cooked farro*
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey wine vinegar (or 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar with 1 tablespoon honey)
- salt and pepper to taste (about 1 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of fresh pepper)
- Took cook the farro, place 1/2 cup uncooked farro in 2+ cups of water. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain any excess water.
- Place all ingredients for the dressing in a small jar and shake to combine. Pour half of the dressing onto the kale and toss well to coat the kale (use your hands if needed to make sure the dressing is massaged well into the kale). If you're using another green you don't have to worry as much about this.
- Toss half the oranges and grapefruit slices into the kale along with half the hazelnuts, avocado and farro. Toss well to combine.
- Top with remaining ingredients and drizzle over the rest of the dressing. (you may not need to use all of the dressing).
Quinoa or brown rice may be used instead of farro.