I’ll make any excuse to enjoy the spinach-artichoke combo. These two are pretty much fabulous however you fix them but this Spinach Artichoke Pasta Recipe is an easy favorite. And of course, you can add chicken if you’d like and use whatever pasta your family enjoys best.
This weekend we took a little road trip down to St. George for our dear friend’s wedding. I packed a cooler filled with a few of our favorite things so we could enjoy a few good meals while we were there. While this pasta didn’t come with us, if I was more prepared it would have! I picked up a few easy meals from Trader Joe’s – Chicken Tikka Masala and Saag Paneer, which made for a perfect meal on the patio one night, and almond croissants, which we heated up one morning for a little picnic on the rooftop.
The place we stayed was super dreamy, a dessert getaway of sorts, away from the city lights and yet with a fully equipped kitchen. The most dreamy part was the little ladder tucked away in the closet that took you to a daring adventure to the rooftop. Luckily for Everett it was well fenced off so we could all enjoy it. We layed out our plaid blanket and enjoyed being just a little closer to the sky for a moment.
Though our meals for the weekend weren’t as homemade as this tempting bowl of pasta they certainly satisfied… thank you Trader Joe’s! And the bottle of Rose we picked up at the state liquor store seemed to fit the whole scene perfectly as well.
If you’re looking for an easy new favorite, I implore you to give this dish a try!
An easy recipe for spinach and artichoke pasta perfect for a satisfying one dish meal.
- 3 cups uncooked pasta*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 8 ounces (1 bag) spinach, chopped
- 4 whole artichoke hearts, steamed and sliced (or 1 jar of artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained)
- 2 tablespoons labneh (can sub for more cream cheese)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/2 -1 cup reserved pasta cooking liquid (or plain water)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup Parmesan
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water until almost done. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of the pasta liquid.
- While pasta is cooking sauté the onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onion and slowly add milk, using a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan and break up any flour bubbles. Bring this to a boil then simmer. Once milk begins to thicken, add in the spinach and artichokes. Stir in the labneh and cream cheese, then add in pasta and toss. Salt to taste. Cover with parmesan cheese. Serve hot or broil to further melt the cheese.
- If broiling, broil on high for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
I used a quinoa, rice flour pasta for this but you could also use a whole wheat pasta or even quinoa instead of pasta. If using quinoa start with 1 1/2 cups uncooked. I also occasionally will add 2 chicken breasts to this dish. Slice uncooked chicken into bite size pieces and add into the pan after the onion is sautéed. Brown both sides then add in the flour and milk. Cook chicken for 10 minutes in the milk or until done (check by slicing one of the small bites in half to see if any redness remains). Continue with the rest of the recipe.