This Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprout Galette with goat cheese and herbs is all of the best flavors of Fall. The roasted veggies give a toasty flavor and along with the creaminess of the goat cheese you have a heavenly side dish or appetizer for any Fall gathering.
Some seasons my calendar is filled with things I feel I should do- work, meeting new people, taking care of acquaintances or even strangers. While this is all so good and I really do love helping others (so good for my soul!), I have found that I often neglect my closest friendships. I don’t make room or prioritize those closest to me, my dearest friends.
I just recently started making space in my mom-schedule for time with those friends whom I’ve known and loved for years, you know the type of friendships that when you meet together you leave feeling so filled up. I’ve felt so much more well rounded, balanced, and even secure. Maybe it’s that I’m getting older but I don’t know why I felt like I should give give give but not make time for pure enjoyment on my part. I’m finally finding balance in my relationships.
This roasted Fall veggie galette was something I brought to a small friend gathering. A group of my closest girl friends got together to enjoy fall cocktails and treats. We sat outside under thick checkered blankets, surrounded by mountain air and conversation and we enjoyed the company of those who know us so well. We ate, we talked and we left with hearts so full! I hope this holiday season has balance with giving and receiving, extending my hand to help, and resting my soul in familiarity and enjoyment. There’s room for both… or better even, we must make room for both!
- 1 pie crust
- 12 oz butternut squash, cut into 1/4 in cubes)
- 1 cup shaved brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (I use rosemary, thyme and oregano)
- 1 egg for egg wash on the crust
- For the Roasted Squash and Brussels:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Slice peeled and seeded squash into 1/4 inch cubes and slice brussels into thin slices. In two separate bowls, toss squash and with half of the oil and half of the salt and pepper and brussels with the other half of oil and seasonings. Roast squash for 15 minutes then add brussels and roast another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- For the galette:
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss roasted veggies with goat cheese and herbs. Adjust seasonings to taste (adding salt if needed).
- On a well floured surface, roll out the pie crust to about a 9 inch diameter. Use flour as needed so that the crust doesn't stick to the surface. Transfer the pie crust to the parchment paper to build the galette. Pile the veggies on top of the rolled out dough and fold up the edges. Brush the top folded edges of the galette with an egg wash. Place the galette in the oven for 40 minutes at 375 or until the crust is golden brown. Serve warm.