This fall inspired Pumpkin Seed Pesto with Cilantro is perfect with soups, over squash and in grilled cheese. It’s also vegan, with no cheese added or needed.
I originally made this pesto to drizzle on top of my latest Butternut Squash Soup creation, then once we had it around I found myself putting it on just about everything. I even like it with my eggs and toast in the morning. Pretty much any savory dish that needs a little boost of flavor will benefit from a spoonful of this!
This fall inspired pumpkin seed and cilantro pesto is great over squash, soup, with eggs, and in grilled cheese.
- 1/2 cup hulled pumpkin seeds (the green kind)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 cup cilantro, loosely packed
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a small skillet over medium heat add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Add the pumpkin seeds and garlic and cook, stirring, until the seeds start to pop a little (2 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a blender or food processor add in all of the ingredients including the other 1/2 tablespoon of oil and the cooled seeds and garlic. Puree until smooth (or you can leave it a little chunky depending on your pesto preferences :)).
this recipe is inspired by a 2001 Gourmet Magazine