Sometimes it just feels good to go back to the classics. This broccoli and cheese soup is perfect comfort food – familiar, filling, and a definite favorite. Oh and did I mention it has a ton of broccoli in it… yes almost a pound, and a cup of carrots too, just for good measure. Soon, I want to try a version of this that’s dairy free with a cashew cream base but until I get that recipe sorted out, we’ll be enjoying this creamy favorite.
In times of stress or disorder in our lives familiarity and comfort should meet health and wellness. This recipe is the perfect balance of this idea. Outside of food, I’ve been mixing time with my dearest friends with some sweet time with new friends, times of excitement along with times of normalcy like a fun day at the zoo then a quiet night at home. We’ve been spending lots of hours at our favorite park, picnicking and playing and enjoying the now. It’s been good for our souls and renewing for our minds.
As we prepare for the month ahead of us (our son going into a serious surgery and long recovery) we’ll need more moments like this. More familiar balanced with new adventure. Here are some words that have calmed my soul in this season.
He himself gives everything life and breath. He determined their appointed times. He did this so that they might seek God and perhaps they might reach out and find him, though he is not far from each of us. In him we live and move and exist. – Acts 17:25-18
A comforting Broccoli and Cheese Soup Recipe that is perfect for a meatless meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 heads of broccoli (a little less than 1 lb), chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup aged white cheddar, shredded
- In a soup pot, sauté onion in oil. Remove onion from pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan, melt the butter than slowly add in the flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly pour in the the half & half and whisk to make sure there aren't any clumps of flour.
- Add the vegetable stock. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and sautéed onions. Cook over low heat 20 minutes or until broccoli is cooked but not mushy.
- Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper, adjusting to taste. Remove 2 cups of the soup and blend using an immersion blender or let cool and blend in a standard blender. Transfer this blended portion back into the soup. Return to heat and add in shredded cheese.
- Serve hot with crusty bread like ciabatta.