This asparagus goat cheese sauce is quite possibly my best sauce creation yet! It’s a perfect balance of fresh spring flavor with rich and creamy goat cheese. I first served it over white fish but lately I have been enjoying it with gnocchi or pasta. The sauce is super easy and can be made in less than 5 minutes (hands on time) and if you pick up gnocchi from the store, you have a meal ready in less than 30 minutes with little to no work. OR if you’re feeling a little more adventurous, you can make homemade gnocchi which is quite a treat and definitely better than anything you can find at the store.
Besides enjoying asparagus with almost every meal lately, I’ve been enjoying having family come through town. The last few weeks of my culinary school stint have only been possible with the huge help I’ve gotten from my family.
My parents came for one full week to take care of Everett and help us with little things around the house. Now, my mother in law is in town and soaking up her time with Everett. Then, next week, my sister comes to watch Everett. It’s a good thing they all love him, because they are really doing me a huge favor!
While I’ve felt completely grateful for each of their time with Everett, I’ve also been encouraged and inspired as I’ve gotten to witness Everett through their eyes. It’s fun to see what they laugh at, marvel at, and enjoy. My mom brought to my attention how wonderful his smile is and how much people are naturally drawn to him. My mother in law can’t get over his big blue eyes(which really put us all to the test!). And, my dad attached to the fact that he thinks he’s a lefty just like his grandaddy.
It’s a beautiful thing to see your child through new eyes. It’s been a fresh perspective just to remind me how lucky I truly am. And with culinary school coming to a close in just two weeks, I’m more excited than ever for more time with just the two of us again.
Now if I can just get him to love asparagus as much as I do!
A creamy and bright sauce with asparagus and goat cheese. This spring recipe is perfect over gnocchi or pasta, or for a lighter meal over fish or chicken.
- 1 bundle of asparagus
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 1 shallot (or 1/4 onion)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice ends of asparagus then slice into 1 inch pieces. Slice shallot into large pieces (the size doesn't matter too much because you're blending it in the end but you don't want it too small or it will burn during roasting). Slice half of a lemon into fairly thin slices, discarding the tough end.
- Toss the asparagus, shallot and lemon with olive oil and salt then place on a baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until tender and just starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Add goat cheese and broth in a high powered blender. Then add in the asparagus, shallot and a couple of the lemon slices. Blend until smooth.
- Rewarm in a small pot over low heat as needed.
- Serve over gnocchi, chicken, white fish, or pasta. Top with remaining lemon slices.
You can store this sauce in the refrigerator for a few days and reheat on low over the stove.