I made these zucchini chocolate chip cookies with a group of elementary students last month. It was one of those time when you think you’re signing up to help or ‘volunteer’ to do something and you end up being helped in return. Have you ever experienced that? I was helping a friend who was putting on a week long cooking camp for kids in an underprivileged neighborhood and I got all prepared to teach them a thing or two about cooking and eating healthy but in the end they were the ones who inspired me.
Often times, in blogging, I get bogged down by the humdrum tasks and search for meaning and bigger purpose in it all. Though I do find so much satisfaction in cooking and feeding others, the blogging part can feel lack -luster at times. This special time with these students encouraged me to get out of my comfy computer seat more and participate in the community. Teaching them was more rewarding than any blog post I’ve written in a long time. And though I hope for the result to be the same, more people being nourished by food and relationships, sometimes being a part of this in person instead of by way of the internet, just feels right.
All that to say, these kids restored my mission to bring together flavor and health in recipes that I share with friends, family, and you! And I hope to encourage others with my words on here as well. And just as the kids were that day, many of the comments and relationships I’ve built online become my inspiration to continue on!
And in case you were wondering, these cookies were kid approved! The theme of the day was zucchini so I also taught them how to make zucchini noodles noodles and a soy peanut sauce. We tossed the raw zucchini noodles with soba noodles and topped the pasta with stir fried vegetables and peanut sauce. Then we made raw vegetable spring rolls and used the same peanut sauce for dipping. It was a tasty afternoon filled with inspiration!
Here are a few more Zucchini Recipes for ya:
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread by Lemons for Lulu
Baked Zucchini Parmesan Crisps by Bakerette
Tomato Zucchini Bisque with Pistou by Cafe Johnsonia
this recipe is adapted from my friend Maria’s Zucchini Cookie recipe at Two Peas and Their Pod.
A healthy chocolate chip cookie with oats and zucchini.
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease the baking sheet.
- Whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl or stand mixer, combine butter and sugars, mix until smooth. Add egg and vanilla extract. Then stir in the shredded zucchini.
- Slowly add flour mixture until just combined. Using a wooden spoon stir in oats, and chocolate chunks.
- Using a small scoop or tablespoon scoop out the dough (about 2 tablespoons each) onto baking sheets, spacing them a couple inches apart. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Remove cookies from pans and let cool on wire racks.