As summer rolls in so do all the fresh berries and nothing goes with berries better than whipped cream. This recipe is a dairy free whipped cream made with all natural coconut milk. Yes, that’s right you can make whipped cream from coconut milk! It’s great on top of pie and angel food cake or just simply dolloped over ripe berries. For those who are lactose intolerant and others who are staying away from heavy cream or just love the flavor of coconut, this is a big win!
I made this to go along with a Strawberry Rhubarb Skillet Pie, recipe coming later this week so stay tuned!! But really this coconut whipped cream can go with just about anything! Use this just as you would use whipped cream as a garnish. If you’re looking for recipes to use this recipe with, here are a few:
Strawberry Rhubarb Coconut Crisp (gluten free)
Dark Chocolate Tapioca Pudding by Letty’s Kitchen
Toasted Oatmeal with Coconut Cream by Cookie and Kate
Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Pie by Barbara Bakes
Fried Strawberry Shortcakes by Oh Sweet Basil
A simple dairy free whipped cream recipe using coconut milk instead of whipping cream.
- 1 can coconut milk (not the lite kind), chilled over night at least 8 hours
- 1-2 tablespoons of a sweetener of your choice: confectioner's sugar, honey, or maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Refrigerate coconut milk overnight.
- Remove the coconut milk from the refrigerator and turn upside down. Use a can opener and open the bottom side of the can. The coconut milk and coconut water should have separated in the can. Pour off the coconut water slowly, making sure not to loose any of the thick milk. You can save the water and use it in smoothies.
- Pour the milk into the bowl of your mixer. Whip until smooth and creamy. Mix in sugar and vanilla.
- Serve with berries over cake or pie!
You may use maple syrup or honey in place of the sugar.