So I’ve found the sister recipe for all those green smoothie lovers out there… I recently made this Green Soup comprised of kale, swiss chard, and avocado which
not only tasted amazing (especially with the bacon on top) but left me feeling energized and renewed. Like green smoothies, this green soup, is gluten free and vegan (taking out the pork belly of course!) as well as rich in nutrients, helping crave junk food cravings, and improving digestion.
Through pregnancy I’ve been especially aware of what I’m consuming, knowing that in some miraculous way the food is
being transformed into a living being inside of me. I’ve been trying to eat greens daily, especially kale, which is rich in protein. I’ve snacked on kale chips, thrown kale in with baked pasta, added kale into my buckwheat noodles with peanut sauce, and now made a soup with lots of kale. Kale has the most protein of all the greens and as you’re pregnant you’re supposed to get 60-90 grams of protein a day. While I hardly reach those numbers, I am trying my best to eat well and add more protein to my diet. And by adding some pork belly or bacon to the top of this soup, I’m increasing my protein intake while adding flavor to the soup as well
I found all of these bright and fresh ingredients at Liberty Heights Fresh. The avocados were the most beautiful ones I had ever seen, so creamy inside that it was hard to put them in the soup instead of just slicing them up for a snack! The turnips are good for thickening and add a slightly sweet flavor. Also, for the soup you may add whatever spices you would like but I felt cumin and paprika were appropriate. I used an applewood smoked pork belly as a garnish but feel free to use any bacon you like or to skip the meat on top if you’re a vegetarian or avoiding meat. My inspiration for this recipe came from a recipe from Tartelette Blog.
How are you eating your greens these days?
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large bunch Swiss chard, washed and stems removed
- 1 large bunch kale, washed and stems removed
- 2 zucchinis, cut into large chunks (2-inch cubes)
- 2 turnips, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 cups water
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 large avocados
- juice of one lime
- 6 slices of pork belly or bacon, cooked until crisp (optional)
- In a large pot, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium high. Add the chard and kale, ripping them into smaller leaves with your fingers as you add them to the pot. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchinis and turnips (both cut into 1 inch cubes) and sauté another couple minutes more.
- Add the garlic, water, paprika and cumin. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover loosely and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool. Right before you run the soup through the food processor, cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, drizzle with lime juice, then scoop out the flesh right into the soup. Puree until smooth in a food processor. Adjust the texture of the soup by adding a bit more water if necessary.
- Serve warm, topped with crumbled bacon or pork belly.