After eating at a delicious Greek restaurant in Salt Lake, Aristos, we took home some of our leftover lemon rice. Soon after, this recipe for Greek Lemon Rice Soup was created. Or as the Greeks call it Avgolemono Soup. It is a velvety broth with strong lemon flavor to which you can add any number of extra ingredients. My favorite add-ins are crisp sautéed asparagus and roasted chicken. Also, if you don’t happen to have leftover lemon rice, you may use any rice you have on hand.
As far as Salt Lake City Greek Restaurants goes, Aristos is the best around. If you go there you must try the Athenian Gyro Salad with gyro meat, feta cheese, and their house vinaigrette – its amazing! For lunch they also have great wraps, souvlaki, and gyros. And of course, they also have Lemon Rice Soup that I can’t leave without getting at least a cup of! You will likely be served at a cozy white linen covered table by one of the greek family memebers that own the restaurant. Their pita bread and hummus is also fabulous.
For my version of Lemon Rice Soup I add in asparagus and chicken. If I have some spare mushrooms in the fridge, I’ll add those in as well. Of course you can make it as basic as you like too! Here is my Aristo’s inspired Greek Lemon Rice Soup Recipe:
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1.5 cups or rice, cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 of a bundle of asparagus (optional)
- 1-2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook 1.5 cups of rice according to directions. Cook Chicken and shred or use rotisserie chicken (1-2 cups). Cut Asparagus into 1 1/2 in. pieces. Heat 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil in a skillet, add asparagus and cook for 3-5 minutes. Set asparagus aside.
- In a large soup pot bring the 6 cups of chicken broth to a simmer.
- In a separate bowl combine the two eggs with the juice and zest of 1 lemon. Whisk to combine.
- Add 1/4 cup at a time of hot chicken broth to the egg mixture to temper the eggs without scrambling them. Whisk constantly as you add the broth into the eggs. Once you've added a cup or so of hot chicken broth the eggs should be hot enough to add into the chicken broth pot. Simmer the broth for 10-15 minutes until mixture thickens slightly- whisking every few minutes. Add Chicken, rice, and asparagus. Heat for 5 minutes. Serve with crusty bread.